Formula SAE and Sports Car Club of America Recognizes Edward Hohenberg as the 2019 Carroll Smith Mentor’s Cup Recipient in Lincoln, NE
The highest award that can be earned by any Formula SAE advisor, the Carroll Smith Mentor's Cup recognizes extraordinary levels of personal time and expertise given to engineering education and the ability to serve as an exceptional role model for students. All FSAE faculty advisors who have been recognized by the Mentor’s Cup provide long term continuity to their team, create a positive and encouraging environment, are active in the team’s technical, organizational and management challenges, uphold the student-run character of the team and provide a professional role model.
Formula SAE is proud to announce that the 2019 Carroll Smith Mentor Award has been presented to Professor Edward Hohenberg. Professor Hohenberg has been involved with the University of Manitoba Formula SAE team (Polar Bear Racing) since the 1980’s and throughout his engineering degree. Since taking on the position of faculty advisor in 2012, Professor Hohenberg has served at the University of Manitoba as both an Engineer-in-Resident and Faculty Advisor for all UMSAE teams that have grown into more than 200+ members since he has taken on this role. Professor Hohenberg also attends SAE meetings and conferences on behalf of the University of Manitoba Formula SAE team, and coordinates industry tours, as well as student nights to meet with industry professionals. Every fall, Professor Hohenberg works with SAE Manitoba to host a technical and networking session to open opportunities for members to expand their technical knowledge. This past year, with the efforts of Professor Hohenberg, SAE Manitoba brought in a professional member to speak about practical kart dynamics. Professor Hohenberg consistently encourages his student members to apply for SAE awards, internships and scholarships.
As recipient of Carroll Smith Mentor’s Cup award Professor Hohnenbreg receives a check for $1500 from the SCCA Foundation, a beautifully engraved keeper cup, and his name is engraved on the perpetual cup, kept at SCCA headquarters in Topeka, Kansas.
If you believe your faculty advisor deserves to receive the Carroll Smith Award for all of their efforts throughout the year, please send your nominations to Kaley Zundel at [email protected] Deadline for nominations is April 1, 2020.
Past Mentor’s Cup Award Recipients:
- Dr. Bob Woods, University of Texas at Arlington
- Dr. Al George, Cornell University
- Dr. Andrew Deakin, Leeds University
- Dr. Ken Cunefare, Georgia Tech
- Dr. Alan Nye, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Dr. Dick Gross, Akron University
- Dr. Make McDermott, Texas A&M University
- Dr. Peter Jones, Auburn University
- Dr. Dan Dolan, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
- Dr. Gary Cloud, Michigan State University
- Dr. Robert Sorem, University of Kansas
- Mr. Doug Fraser, Dartmouth College
- Dr. Robert Paasch, Oregon State University
- Dr. Sergio Diaz, Universidad Simon Bolivar
- Dr. Byam Brooks, Saginaw State University
- Dr. John Russell, University of New Mexico
- Dr. Craig Hoff, Kettering University
- Dr. Len Hamilton, University of Maryland and U.S. Naval Academy
- Mr. Cliff Stover, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Dr. Randall Allemang, University of Cincinnati
- Dr. Edward Hohenberg, University of Manitoba